When to Deploy MEAPs
Gartner has a “rule of three” that determines when a MEAP provides important advantages to a company. These are if the company has:
- Three or more applications
- Three or more back-end systems
- Three or more targeted operating systems or platforms
Using pre-built tools and functions, MEAPs help companies develop and support mobile applications. However, a company should only consider investing in MEAPs if mobile applications are part of the core technology strategy.
How to Deploy MEAPs
Once you have determined that a MEAP is of benefit, it is then time to decide how to implement the right solution for your company. Choosing an outsourcing partner with experience in strategically deploying MEAPs will be important. The right outsourcing partner should provide more than just basic implementation. Some services that are vital to successful MEAPs deployment include:
- Business process specialists who work closely with business and end-users.
- Identification of enterprise applications and functionalities that provide maximum value when mobilized.
- Experience in developing, deploying and managing enterprise mobility solutions.
In addition to strategic business analysis and solid experience, the best outsourcing partner will bring to the table excellent support and cross-platform knowledge. Key services that outsourcers should provide include:
- Custom architecture designed to meet specific scalability and availability demands of customers.
- Heterogeneous Backend support – Seamless integration with many back-end data sources including databases, web services , SAP applications and other enterprise & custom applications that leverage Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- Heterogeneous Device support – Rapid deployment of mobile applications across multiple device types including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and others.
- Scalable architecture – Including end to end device management and security from centralized console to centrally manage, secure and deploy mobile data, applications and devices. Mobile applications will be deployed and provisioned over the air and software updates and patches are automatically applied with minimal end user interaction.
What to Expect
Choosing to deploy Mobile Enterprise Application Platforms will provide increased productivity and improved efficiencies from the use of newer mobile devices. The ability to have your business systems accessible to users anywhere will increase their value and use. Plus, your company’s data will be secure and the Total Cost of Ownership will decrease through the ease of management of your entire mobile enterprise. Overall, your company will realize multiple benefits through the solid implementation of MEAPs as part of your mobile strategy.